Bill James appeared on “The Colbert Report” on Thursday (mainly to promote his new book, “Popular Crime.”) Asks Colbert: “Lizzie Borden took an ax and gave her father 40 whacks. And when she saw what she had done, she gave her mother 41. What’s her whack average there?”
ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com was formally introduced Thursday, and with that came the official arrival of Frecuencia Dodgers, with posts by Noel Pineiro Planas. I’ll be waiting for the French Dodger blog before I can do much foreign-language reading about the team, but this should be a great addition to Dodger coverage.
- Bryan Stow is scheduled to have another surgery, his family said on its website (via The Associated Press).
- Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports writes at length about how the Dodgers’ ownership situation could affect Los Angeles’ NFL plans.
- The Dodgers have a lot of financial issues, but it’s some small saving grace that they don’t have this one: owing a fading Derek Jeter $51 million, as Joe Sheehan writes at SI.com.
- Meanwhile, almost-a-Dodger Eric Chavez “suffered ‘a small fracture” of the fifth metatarsal, or the bone between his ankle and pinky toe, on his left foot while running out his fourth-inning triple” Thursday.
- Dodgers 2010 top draft pick Zach Lee has a 1.17 ERA after six starts for Great Lakes. Though he struck out 25 in his first 19 2/3 innings, he has struck out three in his past 11. Teammate Garret Gould, the Dodgers’ most ballyhooed pick from 2009, has a 1.93 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 28 innings. Over at Rancho Cucamonga, Allen Webster has a 1.44 ERA and 26 strikeouts in his past 25 innings.