What’s the deal with Adrian Beltre and people trying to touch his head? Amy K. Nelson of SB Nation investigates in the clip above.
- Chasing October, a book by David Plaut that focuses on the 1962 pennant race between the Dodgers and Giants, is getting a three-part review by Scott Andes of Lasorda’s Lair.
- Mike Petriello of Mike Scioscia’s Tragic Illness offers his midseason report card on the Dodger position players.
- James McDonald’s rise to prominence could be the result of increased use of his slider, writes Ben Duorino of Fangraphs. (Wasn’t the slider the key to Clayton Kershaw’s Cy Young season?)
- ESPN Sweet Spot bloggers preview the second half of the season for National League teams. Oh, and here’s the American League.
- Matt Kemp is having a post-ESPYs bash tonight to benefit “Kemp’s Kids,” which provides support to underprivileged youth, writes Roberto Baly of Vin Scully Is My Homeboy.
- Meanwhile, Lyle Spencer of MLB.com writes about Kemp’s visit to the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors looks at starting pitchers potentially on the trade market.
- Farewell, Kenny Heitz.