The Dodgers plan to name their starting second baseman when the team reunites after the Taiwan trip, manager Joe Torre told reporters today — and Blake DeWitt is closer to winning the job.
|Rafael Furcal, SS
Matt Kemp, CF
Andre Ethier, RF
Manny Ramirez, DH
Ronnie Belliard, 3B
Blake DeWitt, 2B
Xavier Paul, LF
Brad Ausmus, C
(Hiroki Kuroda, P)
“Blake’s doing a good job,” Torre said. “I haven’t seen enough defensively, offensively I see what you see. He’s special, he played winter ball, he’s done so much in a short time here. He’s a big league player.”
While in Taiwan, Torre will stay in communication with top lieutenant Don Mattingly and the other Dodger coaches for reports on what’s happening Stateside.
- Casey Blake is expected to return to action Wednesday.
- The starting pitchers on the Taiwan trip will be Eric Stults, Josh Towers and Charlie Haeger.
- Torre plans for relievers Jonathan Broxton, George Sherrill and Hong-Chih Kuo to get “eight or nine innings” of game work before the season.
- Torre on James Loney: “He needs to be more familiar with what he can do offensively. He pretty much reinvented himself in the second half last year and it paid off. Eventually I think he can hit 20 home runs.”
- While Loney is in Taiwan, Garret Anderson will play some first base in Arizona.
Comments are closed.