By Jon Weisman
I’m pleased to reveal that the 2015 Los Angeles Dodgers Yearbook will be a special Fernando Valenzuela commemorative edition.
Publishing in April (the 34th anniversary of the month that No. 34 took the mound for his first Opening Day and launched Fernandomania), the Yearbook celebrates the life and career of the Dodger legend with a special 21-page section, “The Man Behind the Mania” — entirely in Valenzuela’s words — including some never before-seen photos.
Valenzuela discusses such subjects as playing baseball as a child, how hard he worked to learn the screwball, his feelings about being called up in 1980 and getting that 1981 Opening Day start, what it was like to be in the center of Fernandomania, his approach to all aspects of the game, his greatest memories and his thoughts about the ultimate path of his career.
The 160-page yearbook will also feature the following:
- Month-by-month review of the Dodgers’ 2014 season
- Detailed look at the 2015 roster
- Special salute to NL MVP and Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw
- “In Memoriam” tributes to members of the Dodger family
- Photos of celebrities who visited Dodger Stadium in the past year
- Reports on the new front-office leadership, minor league affiliations and changes at Dodger Stadium and Camelback Ranch
- A recap of 2014 community efforts by the Dodgers
- Information about tickets, promotions and more.
The yearbook will be on sale at Dodger Stadium stores in time for the Freeway Series game with the Angels on April 4 for $15. You can also order it online for $20. Best deal: The 2015 Dodger Yearbook is free with a 2015 Dodger Insider subscription (must subscribe by April 30).
Also of note: Dodger Insider magazine and the Yearbook will be polybagged for mailing to subscribers to protect the covers. Online orders received by March 16 will be mailed in early April.