By Jon Weisman
Just thought I’d pass along some observations about the Dodgers’ remaining 2015 regular season schedule.
Both the Dodgers’ August 9 game at Pittsburgh and the August 30 game against the Cubs will start at 5:08 p.m. Pacific and be shown on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
When the Dodgers finish their weekend series against the Mets, they’ll have played 100 games this season: 50 at home, 50 on the road.
The upcoming five games against the A’s (July 28-29) and Angels (July 31-August 2) are the Dodgers’ only home games in a 27-day stretch between July 13 and August 9.
The Dodgers have two long-distance trips left in the 2015 regular season: August 4-9 (Philadelphia and Pittsburgh) and August 21-27 (Houston and Cincinnati).
From August 28 through the end of the regular season on October 4, the farthest east that the Dodgers will go will be Arizona and Colorado.
During that period, the Dodgers will play 38 games in the final 40 days of the season. Of those 38 games, 16 will be against teams that currently have winning records (Cubs, Giants, Angels, Pirates, Giants).
The Dodgers have seven games remaining against the second-place Giants: at Los Angeles from August 31-September 2, and in San Francisco from September 28-October 1.
As of this moment, the Dodgers have played two more games than the Giants. Here’s how that will resolve:
- Giants play July 27, Dodgers are off. Dodgers +1
- Both teams are off July 30. Dodgers +1
- Giants play August 3, Dodgers are off. Even
- Giants off August 10, Dodgers play. Dodgers +1
- Giants play August 17, Dodgers off. Even
- Giants play August 20, Dodgers off. Giants +1
- Both teams are off August 24, September 10 and September 17. Giants +1
- Giants are off September 21, Dodgers play. Even
Here’s a bit more about the Giants’ schedule. Starting on August 6, they play 26 consecutive games against teams that are currently in playoff position and have better records than San Francisco.
- August 6-9: at Chicago (four)
- August 11-12: vs. Houston (two)
- August 13-16: vs. Washington (four)
- August 17-19: at St. Louis (three)
- August 20-23: at Pittsburgh (four)
- August 25-27: vs. Chicago (three)
- August 28-30: vs. St. Louis (three)
- August 31-September 2: at Los Angeles (three)
In their 29 final games from September 3 on, the Giants’ four home games against the Dodgers are their only games against winning teams.