By Jon Weisman
The Dodgers will return all six of their minor-league field managers in 2014, though two of them will be switching teams.
The 2014 minor-league managers are Damon Berryhill (Triple-A Oklahoma City), Razor Shines (Double-A Tulsa), P.J. Forbes (Single-A Rancho Cucamonga), Bill Haselman (Single-A Great Lakes), John Shoemaker (Rookie-advanced Ogden) and Jack McDowell (Rookie-level AZL Dodgers). Last year, Shoemaker managed the AZL Dodgers and McDowell at Ogden.
With promotions throughout the system, many Dodger prospects will work with their coaches from 2014. More on the coaching staffs follows …
Oklahoma City: Moving up from Double-A pitching coach in 2014 to Triple-A in 2015 is Scott Radinsky, where he will team up with returning hitting coach Franklin Stubbs. Johnny Washington, the Great Lakes hitting coach in 2014, will be the fourth coach in Oklahoma City.
Tulsa: Matt Herges steps up from Rancho Cucamonga pitching coach to Tulsa. Former Ogden hitting coach Leo Garcia will also be an assistant coach with the Drillers, meeting up with returning Double-A hitting coach Shawn Wooten.
Rancho Cucamonga: Last year’s Great Lakes pitching coach, Bill Simas, is moving to Rancho, which will also welcome former Campo Las Palmas coach Rafael Ozuna as its fourth coach. Mike Eylward is back as hitting coach.
Great Lakes: Glenn Dishman, the pitching coach at Albuquerque the past four seasons, will shift to Haselman’s staff at Great Lakes, where he will be joined by former Dodger Jay Gibbons as hitting coach. Luis Matos will be the Loons’ fourth coach.
Ogden: Bobby Cuellar and Darryl Brinkley will be pitching and hitting coaches with Ogden under Shoemaker, who has been in the Dodger organization since 1977. Former Dodger bullpen catcher Fumi Ishibashi will be Ogden’s fourth coach.
AZL Dodgers: Aaron Bates, who had a memorable swing against Clayton Kershaw early in Spring Training last year before spending the season in Chattanooga, will be the AZL Dodgers’ hitting coach, under McDowell, with Gil Velasquez as fourth coach. Pitching coach Greg Sabat, like McDowell, was with Ogden last year.
- Clayton McCullough joins the Dodger organization as field coordinator following eight seasons with Toronto.
- Damon Mashore will become the club’s hitting coordinator following two seasons as outfield/baserunning coordinator.
- Brady Clark, who played for the Dodgers in 2007, is the new outfield/baserunning coordinator.
- One of my favorite names, Kremlin Martinez, will assume the role of lower-level pitching rover. He was the club’s Campo Las Palmas field coordinator last year.
- Rick Knapp (pitching coordinator). Travis Barbary (catching coordinator), Juan Castro (infield coordinator) and Todd Takayoshi (assistant hitting coordinator) will return for 2015 in their same roles.