By Jon Weisman
“Right” said Pedro Baez, or something to that effect, the morning after an Adam Liberatore midgame warmup pitch Wednesday accidentally struck the right-handed reliever in the head.
Baez played catch in the outfield today and told reporters today that he feels fine, though Dave Roberts said in his pregame chat that the team hadn’t determined if Better Off Ped is available to pitch today.
However, the Dodgers have called up southpaw Luis Avilan from Triple-A Oklahoma City, because Louis Coleman has been placed on the bereavement list following the passing of his grandfather.
Avilan, who had a rough Spring Training, has thrown six shutout innings so far this season in the minors, allowing three hits and three walks while striking out nine. Left-handed batters are 1 for 9 against him with two walks and three strikeouts.
He’ll boost a Dodger bullpen that has been taxed over the past two nights and that will be hoping for a reprieve today with Clayton Kershaw on the mound. Number of pitches Dodger relievers have thrown since Monday’s off day:
- 33 J.P. Howell (10 Tuesday, 23 Wednesday)
- 31 Joe Blanton (12 Tuesday, 19 Wednesday)
- 24 Yimi Garcia (six Tuesday, 18 Wednesday
- 16 Chris Hatcher (16 Wednesday)
- 13 Adam Liberatore (nine Tuesday, four Wednesday)
- 13 Louis Coleman (13 Tuesday)
- 13 Kenley Jansen (13 Wednesday)