By Jon Weisman
In this video clip, Vin Scully talks about how new Dodger outfielder Will Venable is using an actual old glove of Dave Roberts from 2005, seen above.
[mlbvideo id=”822737883″ width=”550″ height=”308″ /]
Here are some more notes and news from the past week …
- Cali Ann’s getting a sibling. Clayton and Ellen Kershaw have a second baby on the way, due in November. Andy McCullough of the Times has the news in this Father’s Day-themed interview with Kershaw, which talks at length about the softening effect parenthood has had on the Dodger ace.
- Monday’s nationally televised series-opener (ESPN) against the Washington Nationals figures to match Stephen Strasburg (2.90 ERA) against Clayton Kershaw (1.58 ERA). I’m not into win-loss records, but even a cynic like me about them finds it a little glamorous that the two pitchers are a combined 20-1. Reminder: Strasburg is four months and one day younger than Kershaw.
- The Dodgers officially announced the signing of the following draft picks: shortstop Errol Robinson (sixth round), right-hander Andre Scrubb (eighth round), right-hander Dean Kremer (14th round), outfielder Darien Tubbs (16th round), third basemen Brock Carpenter (20th round), right-hander Jeff Paschke (22nd round), second baseman Brandon Montgomery (26th round) and catcher Steve Berman (31st round).
- Ross Stripling gave a progress report to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com regarding his current hiatus from game action.
- Chad Billingsley said he hasn’t given up, but the former Dodger right-hander, who hasn’t thrown a competitive pitch in 11 months, told Bruce Hefflinger of the Defiance Crescent-News (his hometown newspaper) that it was “most likely” that his career was over.
- Scott Radinsky, the one-time Dodger reliever who is the Angels’ bullpen coach, is thankfully recovering from April open-heart surgery after a big scare.
- Former Dodger catcher Tim Federowicz was designated for assignment by the Cubs.
Thanks for the reminder. Hadn’t actually realized that Clayton and Strasburg are about the same age.
Sent from my iPhone