[mlbvideo id=”701809583″ width=”550″ height=”308″ /]
By Jon Weisman
There have been several bits of business that I’ve been meaning to get to, so I figured the best solution was to bring back the reliable “In case you missed it” feature from Spring Training to capture them all.
- Yasiel Puig and Justin Turner had a great morning at the beach Saturday as part of MLB’s Play Ball weekend. Watch the video above, and read more about it here.
- Scott Van Slyke’s recovery from a lower back ailment has accelerated, and he could begin a rehab assignment as soon as this week.
- Julio Urias pitched six more shutout innings Saturday, extending his scoreless streak for Triple-A Oklahoma City to 22 innings. He picked off two of the five batters to reach base against him in a 1-0 victory over Las Vegas. Urias has a 1.25 ERA with 39 strikeouts in 36 innings this year, while allowing 30 baserunners. He has pitched six innings in each of his past three starts.
Red Patterson, who started one game for the Dodgers in 2014 and came within one out of a victory, was released from Double-A Tulsa. Patterson, who turned 29 last week, had gone down there from Oklahoma City, for whom he had thrown three innings this year. Patterson had Tommy John surgery following the 2014 season.
- Carlos Frias made a rehab start May 12 with Double-A Tulsa, striking out three in three innings while allowing one hit and one run.
- Jose De Leon hasn’t pitched since May 3 because of arm soreness. Oklahoma City announced today that he had been placed on the disabled list.
- Pin-Chieh Chen, a 24-year-old Taiwanese outfielder, was acquired from the Reds organization and assigned to Single-A Rancho Cucamonga.
- Casey Fien, whom the Dodgers claimed on waivers May 7 from Minnesota, was outrighted to Oklahoma City, meaning he is not on the Dodgers’ 40-man roster.
- Oklahoma City right-hander Jharel Cotton started in his first four appearances of the 2016 season, but he has come out of the bullpen in his past six. Cotton allowed two runs in his first five relief innings, but has allowed eight runs in his next five. Asked if Cotton were now a full-time reliever, Dodger director of player development Gabe Kapler said, “Cotton is considered an athlete. That’s honestly how we think of him.”
- Pablo Fernandez, the Cuban right-hander whose signing by the Dodgers was announced a year ago this week, has had Tommy John surgery. The 26-year-old had a 3.92 ERA with 41 strikeouts in 43 2/3 innings last year, the highest being Rancho Cucamonga.
- After throwing 7 2/3 innings for Oklahoma City with a 2.35 ERA, 33-year-old left-hander Sean Burnett opted out of his minor-league contract with the Dodgers on May 2. He is now pitching for Triple-A Gwinett in the Atlanta organization.
- Dale Thayer, a 35-year-old right-hander, was released May 3 by Double-A Tulsa. Thayer struck out 10 in eight innings while allowing six runs on 18 baserunners after the Dodgers picked him up in April.
- Dr. Drew Pinsky sang the National Anthem on Sunday. I had no idea this was in his kit.
[mlbvideo id=”702240283″ width=”550″ height=”308″ /]