Dodger Thoughts

Jon Weisman's outlet for dealing psychologically with the Los Angeles Dodgers, baseball and life

Category: Community (Page 5 of 6)

Game-used Kershaw no-hitter ball up for auction

Kershaw Ball

By Jon Weisman

A game-used, autographed ball from Clayton Kershaw’s no-hitter – plus a meet-and-greet with the Dodger superstar – is up for auction, with proceeds benefiting the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation.

Read More

Josh Beckett no-hitter: Game-used ball up for bid, benefiting Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation

Beckett No-Hitter Ball Front

By Erin Edwards

It’s time to win a Dodger baseball. Dodger fans, this is your chance to own a piece of Dodger history and help the youth of L.A.

We all held our breath May 25 when Josh Beckett threw the 11th no-hitter in Los Angeles Dodgers history. The Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation is auctioning a game-used ball from the no-hitter, autographed by Beckett — along with a special Dodger Stadium experience — at dodgers.com/auctions.

The benefits from the auction will help fund programs such as Dodgers RBI, which gives underserved youth the opportunity to play baseball and softball, School Fuel, which provides breakfast to for Los Angeles Unified School District students, and much more.

Act now! You have the opportunity to bid on a one-of-a-kind experience to mark this amazing moment in Dodger history. The winning bidder will receive the following:

Read More

Dodger fan donations received by San Fernando Valley Mission

[mlbvideo id=”32902019″ width=”550″ height=”308″ /]
By Jon Weisman

More than 80 boxes of clothing, bedding, toiletries, toys and food donated by Dodger fans were received today by the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission, which was devastated by a fire earlier this month.

These items will be used either by shelter guests or sold at the Mission’s Super Thrift Store, which provides financial support for the Mission.

“The Mission does such great work to help those in need, the Dodgers were happy to be able to do our part to help in the rebuilding process,” Dodger senior vice president of external affairs Renata Simril said.

Dodger Stadium to host 5K run and Kids Fun Run on September 21

5KBy Jon Weisman

A new 5K Run and Kids Fun Run, hosted by the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation, will debut September 21 at Dodger Stadium.

Registration for the event is open online at www.dodgers.com/5K. The 5K Run, open to all age groups, begins at 8:30 a.m., on a course that includes views of Dodger Stadium and downtown Los Angeles, a cool-down run around the Dodger Stadium warning track and appearances by Dodger Alumni League members. Awards will be given to top participants in male and female categories.

The Kids Fun Run, for kids 12 and under, will take place at 10:00 a.m. on the Dodger Stadium warning track.

Read More

Fire at San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission leads to Dodger donation effort

Mission _MG_6964

By Jon Weisman

Mission fireTo aid those whose lives have been harmed by a devastating fire at the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission, the Dodgers and the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation are leading an online donation effort now through May 19 and a collection of items at Dodger Stadium on Thursday.

Damage sustained included the destruction of the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission’s emergency shelter, vehicle fleet, clothing warehouse includes modern facility dry storage space and food pantry, all of which were vital in aiding those of need in the San Fernando Valley.

Monetary donations are being taken at www.dodgers.com/ladf. All donations received this week will go directly to the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission.

In addition, fans are also invited to drive through Dodger Stadium on Thursday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. to drop off donations in Lot 1. The Dodgers will be joined by members of the Dodger Alumni League, Dodger wives, staff from City Council offices as well as the Los Angeles Fire Department and San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission in their collection of items for the mission.

Mission _MG_6903The Dodgers and LADF suggest donations at Dodger Stadium of new or gently-worn clothing and shoes, new or used blankets, bedding and towels, toiletries, baby items and canned and dry food items.

Additionally, more than 15 families affected by the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission fire will attend Wednesday’s 7:10 p.m. game vs. Miami, courtesy of the Dodgers. One of the young children affected by the fire lost his favorite Dodger blanket; the Dodgers will be providing him along with all families in attendance with new Dodger blankets.

Members of the Los Angeles Fire Department will also be collecting monetary donations during Wednesday’s game and at Thursday’s event.

Mission_MG_7044“The Dodger community spans far and wide, and we feel strongly about the unfortunate circumstances affecting our neighbors at the San Fernando Valley Mission,” said Dodger senior vice president of external affairs Renata Simril. “We invite all Dodger fans to lend a helping hand to the Mission while they attend any of our games against Miami or by stopping by this Thursday.”

Said Los Angeles City Council member Paul Krekorian: “The moment the Dodgers heard about the terrible loss suffered by the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission and the families it serves, they offered to step up and help rescue the Mission. I urge everyone to follow the Dodgers’ lead this week by donating money, clothing and personal items in whatever amount possible.”

Founded in 1998, the San Fernando Valley Rescue Mission began as the Rescue Survival Outreach Services (S.O.S.) Program serving meals to the Valley’s homeless. In 2002, the Mission launched the Family Shelter program in a collaborative effort with San Fernando Valley area churches in response to the critical unmet need for a year round emergency shelter. The program has been designed to provide homeless men, women, children and families an opportunity, not only to obtain food, shelter, and basic life necessities, but also provides a foundation for individual and family restoration by developing a personalized plan based on their needs for achieving personal growth, employment, and housing. For more information, log on to www.sfvrescuemission.org or call 818-304-7593.

Viva Los Dodgers on Sunday features Mystery Bags with autographed baseballs

By Erin Edwards

This Sunday, Viva Los Dodgers — the family-friendly pregame festival where fans can enjoy live music, player autographs and other fun activities — will feature some exciting Mystery Bags for lucky fans.

LADF tentWhile at Viva Los Dodgers, be sure to stop by the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation tent. You will find the Mystery Bag fundraiser, where for a $40 donation, you can get an official Major League baseball signed by one of 10 Dodger alumni or one of our current players.

You won’t know until you open your bag who signed your ball. Possible signatures include Andre Ethier, Zack Greinke, Nomar Garciaparra, Tommy Davis and Manny Mota.

Only 84 Mystery Bags are available. All proceeds will benefit the LADF and its programs in sports and recreation, education and literacy and health and wellness. All the programs help children and families throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area.

Also this Sunday. Viva Los Dodgers moves to the Dodger Stadium 76 station, which has been refurbished for event use in Lot 6. A part of Dodger Stadium since the ballpark opened in 1962, the 76 station has been preserved but adapted into a flexible and nicely landscaped event space.

76 station today IMG-20140501-00505

Vin Scully Opening Day First Pitch Mound up for bid

img-197821-mMagic img-197822-mBy Erin Edwards

This is your last weekend to bid on some one-of-a-kind items. The First Pitch Mound used by Vin Scully on Opening Day comes signed by Scully, Sandy Koufax, Fernando Valenzuela and the 2014 Los Angeles Dodger roster.

Also on bid from the home opener, NBA Hall of Famer and Dodger owner Magic Johnson’s autographed jersey, and a 2014 Jackie Robinson Day No. 42 jersey autographed by the team.

Bid now at dodgers.com/auctions. Net proceeds benefit Dodgers RBI, a youth baseball program for boys and girls ages 5-18. A program of the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation, Dodgers RBI offers 2,400 youth the opportunity to play ball.

The LADF also has three more silent auctions at Dodger Stadium this homestand: Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Here is just a sampling of the items up for bid on the Club Level behind the Vin Scully Press Box:

Tonight (auction ends at 8:45 p.m.)

• Adrian Gonzalez autographed baseball
  • Clayton Kershaw autographed jersey
  • Carl Crawford autographed photo

Friday (auction ends at 8:45 p.m.)

• Orel Hershiser autographed 1988 World Series baseball
  • Clayton Kershaw autographed jersey
  • Yasiel Puig autographed photo

Sunday (auction ends at 2:45 p.m.)

• Don Sutton autographed baseball
  • Matt Kemp autographed jersey
  • Clayton Kershaw autographed photo

Ryu to sign autographs to raise money for South Korean ferry victims

By Jon Weisman

Dodger pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu will sign autographs for fans Sunday from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at Viva Los Dodgers in Lot 6 for monetary donations that will benefit the survivors and families of those who lost their lives aboard the South Korean ferry Sewol, which capsized on April 16.

Ryu will also select a fan at Viva Los Dodgers to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Sunday’s game.

Ryu will sign autographs for donations in the Dodgers’ autograph tent located to the right of the stage. On Friday, Ryu pledged a $100,000 donation via his HJ 99 foundation to a charity to help those affected by the Sewol ferry disaster.

Viva Los Dodgers, which begins at 10:30 a.m., is free with a ticket to Sunday’s game against Arizona.

Jackie Robinson Day celebrated at Dodger Stadium with community events

[mlbvideo id=”32117671″ width=”550″ height=”308″ /]

By Jon Weisman

Though the Dodgers were (for a rare occasion) away on Jackie Robinson Day, the event didn’t go unnoticed at Dodger Stadium. On Tuesday, the Dodgers hosted scholars and alumni from the Jackie Robinson Foundation for a tour and seminar with the Dodgers to reflect on No. 42’s legacy.

In addition, the Dodgers staged a clinic with kids from the Challengers Boys and Girls Club of Los Angeles. Definitely check out the photos here.

Raul Mondesi leads clothing drive Sunday at Dodger Stadium

raul_mondesi2By Jon Weisman

A reminder: Raul Mondesi, the former Dodger Rookie of the Year who is now mayor of San Cristobal, Dominican Republic, is holding a clothing drive to benefit his hometown Sunday at Viva Los Dodgers, which begins in Lot 6 at 3 p.m., two hours before the Dodgers take on the Giants.

Mondesi will accept donations of gently-worn clothing and will sign autographs. Fans that bring a donation will be placed in a priority line for autographs. Dodger coach and SportsNet LA Spanish-language broadcaster Manny Mota will also make an appearance and sign autographs.

Mondesi will also throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Sunday’s game.

Tweets from the Dodger caravan

By Jon Weisman

Today’s the day a bunch of current Dodgers join the team’s Pitching in the Community Caravan (presented by State Farm). You can follow along on Twitter, but I’ll update this post periodically with Josh Tucker’s tweets from the scene.

Guerra Puig

Video: Caravan brings Dodger Skatium finale

[mlbvideo id=”31328239″ width=”550″ height=”308″ /]
By Jon Weisman 

Above, fun video of the Dodgers and the kids on Tuesday’s second day of the Dodgers Pitching in the Community Caravan, including the final skate in Dodger Stadium. They began tearing down the rink today.

Below, a sample of the latest from Dodger photographers Jon SooHoo and Juan Ocampo, from today’s Yasiel Puig visit and day three of the caravan. (Click the link to see them all.)

Dodgers Community Caravan

In case you missed it: Caravan on ice

Dodgers Community Caravan
By Jon Weisman

Photo highlights from Tuesday’s second day of the Dodgers Pitching in the Community Caravan (presented by State Farm) can be found here.

Elsewhere, the links keep coming …

• Clayton Kershaw spoke to MLB Network about the potential for using the new protective caps for pitchers approved by MLB. Steve Dilbeck of Dodgers Now passes along some Kershaw quotes.

… “I’ve thrown with it. You don’t look very cool, I’ll be honest,” he said.

“But technology is unbelievable and it really doesn’t feel that much different once you get used to it. Obviously, it would be a change. We wouldn’t look the same as everybody else, but if you’re that one guy who gets hit what seems like every year, there’s that chance out there. I’m definitely not opposed to it. I think it’d take a lot of getting used to. I think it’s a great thing and a step in the right direction, for sure.”

Kershaw said baseball could require minor leaguers to wear the cap, easing its way into the big leagues. …

• What were the most clutch plays of the Dodgers’ 2013 season? Chad Moriyama takes a look at Dodgers Digest.
  • Julio Urias ranks 14th on Keith Law’s top 100 prospect list for ESPN.com. The 17-year-old is followed by Corey Seager at 18, Joc Pederson at 41 and Zach Lee at 75. Here’s the start of the Urias writeup:

The Dodgers signed Urias — who is the youngest player on this list by a wide margin — during the same trip to Mexico that netted them Yasiel Puig, which may end up one of the most productive scouting runs in baseball history, as Urias has enormous upside if he can just stay healthy while Los Angeles gradually builds up his arm to handle a starter’s workload.

• Ken Gurnick is the latest to profile Lee, for MLB.com.
  • Dodgers marketing pioneer Danny Goodman is someone who must be remembered, and it’s nice to see Evan Bladh do so at Opinion of Kingman’s Performance.
  • Tom Verducci’s Baseball State of the Union piece at SI.com is long but well worth the read for how thought-provoking it is, even if you don’t agree with all he writes (and I don’t think he intends for you to).
  • One more from the caravan, which featured kids from Long Beach’s McBride Park Teen Center skating at Dodger Stadium at the end of the day.

DODGERS CARAVAN

Active Dodgers join community caravan Friday

caravan MondayBy Jon Weisman

Yasiel Puig, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Carl Crawford, Brian Wilson and Alexander Guerrero are scheduled to be among the active Dodgers participating in the team’s Pitching in the Community Caravan (presented by State Farm) on Friday.

Subject to change, those Dodgers will be joined by Scott Van Slyke, Paco Rodriguez, Tim Federowicz, Stephen Fife, Dee Gordon, Javy Guerra, Justin Sellers, Matt Magill, Seth Rosin, Nick Buss, Drew Butera, Mike Baxter and Jarrett Martin (along with assistant hitting coach John Valentin and broadcaster Charley Steiner), as they make the following stops:

• 9-11:15 a.m. – Kidspace Children’s Museum, Pasadena
  • 12-2 p.m. – Homeboy Industries, Los Angeles
  • 2:30-3:45 p.m. – Weingart East Los Angeles YMCA, Los Angeles
  • 4:30-6:30 p.m. – Dodgers Dreamfield dedication and baseball clinic at Jesse Owens Park, Los Angeles

This will be Guerrero’s first public appearance as a Dodger.

The overriding mission of the Dodgers’ community efforts in general and this caravan in particular is to build upon the team’s tradition of service with the goal of inspiring youth and adults to play, learn, live and serve. The impact the players can have is pretty priceless.

Note: Caravan activities are not open to the general public, but are specifically targeted for the aforementioned groups.

As Matt Kemp knows, there are challenges, and then there are challenges

Matt Kemp Caravan
By Jon Weisman

People will talk about Matt Kemp’s hurdles in 2014 coming back from multiple injuries, but Kemp would be the first to put those hurdles in perspective.

FourA surprise visitor today at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, joining Dodger alumni Ron Cey, Ken Landreaux, Matt Luke and Dennis Powell on the first day of the Dodgers Pitching in the Community Caravan (presented by State Farm), Kemp was eager to spread good cheer but had to take some deep breaths on the way.

“It’s definitely difficult,” Kemp said. “Kids honestly don’t deserve to go through this. They didn’t ask for this. Me growing up, I had a normal childhood, I was healthy … but some of the things these kids have been through, I wouldn’t know how to react or how to handle these situations. So yeah, it’s tough to come here, seeing some of these kids with their childhood taken away.

“There’s a little bit of a backstory to it. I had a little brother, growing up — he was sick, he was always in the hospital and he later passed. Just coming to the hospital for me is pretty tough. The smell of a hospital reminds me of my little brother. Coming to see some of these kids, hooked up to these machines, it just takes me back. It’s definitely tough just to come here and see some of this stuff. But it’s what I guess I was born to do, and it’s nice to do and puts everything in perspective.”

Told that was a big responsibility, Kemp agreed but believed he could make a difference, saying that “if it’s me just saying ‘hello’ to a kid, giving a kid a Dodger hat or something that makes their day, that makes them eat” when they might otherwise feel too weak to do so, he was game.

As for himself, Kemp hasn’t completed his recovery from every injury that set him back in 2013 — namely the ankle — but feels he is right on track.

“I feel great. Just got done working out not too long ago. I’m pretty pumped up for the upcoming season and what’s going on, and hopefully be injury-free this whole year and have a great season.

“I’m not rushing it back, but I’m definitely going to come back 110 percent and try to be the best centerfielder I can be.”

Childrens Hospital Instagram

Page 5 of 6