Good morning, and welcome to the postgame show!
Yes, the Dodgers’ first game in Taiwan is already over, and it sounds like the Tianmu Baseball Stadium crowd had a good time. Native son Chin-Lung Hu had a two-run single for the Dodgers, but Taiwan’s Chinese Professional Baseball League All-Stars won, 5-2.
Sounds like it’s been a good trip all around, though:
- Here’s a travelogue describing all the activities before the first game, from Josh Rawitch at Inside the Dodgers.
- Ken Gurnick also has an article at MLB.com describing the Dodgers’ sightseeing.
- Here’s a game story from Focus Taiwan. The Dodgers were out-hit, 12-3.
- Sons of Steve Garvey collects some photos of the trip, as well as some Twitter updates from Rawitch, Gurnick and Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com describing game action. A 4:39 a.m. comment from Dodger Thoughts commenter Wen_JK also has more details.
- Trayvon Robinson, Xavier Paul, Manny Ramirez (DH), James Loney, Ronnie Belliard, Russ Mitchell, Lucas May, Hu, Brian Barton and Eric Stults started for the Dodgers.
- Manny Ramirez twice just missed homering to center and ended up 0 for 3.
- Lucas May, who is now the organization’s third-string catcher, had to leave the game after getting hit by a pitch on the left ankle. Belliard also got plunked.
- Stults threw three scoreless innings, striking out four.
- Former Dodger Chin-Feng Chen, now a ripe old 32, had a single and a walk.
- “Don’t Stop Believin’” was played in the top of the ninth inning.
The Dodgers’ mainland Spring Training game takes place against Aroldis Chapman and the Reds at 12:05 p.m., and then the second game of the Taiwan trip begins just after 10 p.m. Pacific time.
Update: Full game wrapup from Gurnick, plus box score. May told Gurnick he was fine.
Update 2: In the comments below, Wen_JK has posted some YouTube links to the game.